It’s not that I want to eat sweets or to stay inside today, but there are a lot of things that are making that happen…..
Yesterday was the first day of fall and on Monday I was saying to my mom how much I hated that I was still dressing my children in pretty much the same outfits they’ve worn since March. Yes, MARCH! I despise living at the beach. Then came Tuesday and my prayers were answered…sort of. There is rain and the temps have dipped down into the high 60’s and low 70’s. This is cool enough for me to justify putting them in pants and t-shirts instead of shorts. And they get to wear their new tennis shoes instead of the smelly old sandals that need to find their way into the trash.
However much I love the fall, there are a few things that I am not in love with, so here is a pro-con list for you for Autumn:
- It is far easier to go for runs at any time of day if the sun is not scorching the skin off of your body
- You also don’t smell as bad after a run
- Your house can be opened up so that it doesn’t smell like stale air
- The leaves change color and it’s almost as exciting as spring blooms….minus the pollen, so add that to plus column
- Jeans. They’re cute, they go with anything, and it means you don’t have to shave your legs.
- College football has started up and despite my team (Go Cyclones!) losing their first two games of the season, they pulled off a win against in state rival, U of I, and that made the rest of my family miserable. I have a lot of love-hate with college sports, but that’s for another post.
- Pumpkins are in season and that means a lot of good eats with a lot of good vitamins mixed in.
Okay, so I know I have more pros than this, but I’m getting stumped at the moment….this is why I need a more thorough writing process than just my trusty pastel note cards.
- The rain. Have I mentioned how much the rain makes me sleepy? My family suffers from a lot of SAD and I am not immune. It seems to zap the energy to run, or do much of anything, right out of me. It’s gotten worse over the years, but I still remember struggling with going to cross country practice in high school on rainy days.
- The smells. The smell of fake cinnamon in particular is the one that I cannot stand. One good night of fun in freshman year of college with a bottle of Fire and Ice has ruined the smell of fake cinnamon for me FOREVER! I hate going into Fresh Market this time of year because of the pine cones and cinnamon brooms that fill the entry way. It’s a mad dash for me to get my kid buckled and into the store before I throw up.
- The smells of baked goods. This is a big trigger for me. I am not particularly an emotional eater. I’m not much of a big eater at all. But I am driven by texture and smell more than anything. If I smell sweets baking I immediately get the urge to eat ANYTHING that is within arms reach and edible. Kind of like that weird Tina Fey commercial where she chows down on the potpourri.
- Holidays. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love spending time with my family, but that’s the part that gets me. My mom, two grandmothers, two brothers, two nephews, all of my aunts and uncles, etc…..live in Iowa. That’s a 23.5 hour drive from my house and that’s a long way to go when you just want to check in and have some family time. I will be home for Thanksgiving this year, but 5 days there and 2 days in a car (each way because I have kids) is not enough to last a whole year long. The holidays make me sad in the fall because it reminds me of how far away I am and how much I’m missing out on.
I guess my pro list is longer, but my con list is deeper. It talks to the reasons that many of us give up our training programs and good eating habits when fall rolls around. That’s why there is such a boom at the beginning of the year to start anew. So, I am going to take today in stride. It’s rainy and I don’t want to run. That’s okay. I will do something indoors that is good for me. I baked some brownies for some friends who have a new baby, but I am upstairs away from them and the pantry so that I’m not tempted to gorge on things that I don’t need or even really want. And I almost forgot that I have one more great pro to look forward to….MY BIRTHDAY! It’s Saturday and my family (hubby and kids) is going camping this weekend to celebrate. Why camping? Two reasons: It’s something that I did with my family growing up and have missed doing the last few years. And http://www.takeachildoutside.org/. Which doubly helps my agenda. Wish me luck!