It’s the Friday before Thanksgiving and I’ve set this post to auto load. I’m driving across the country with my two kids and sister in tow. Someone please help me avoid holiday travel hell! Why are you already singing Jingle Bells?!
Last week when I traveled to Brockport, New York (Quick shout out to my great group there: Beth, Emily, Kevin, Katie, Josh, Chris, and Nate!) I started thinking about how hard it is to get through the airport without feeling like Louie (only watch this if you’re okay with some offensive material and are not around your kids….Thanks Sarrah!).
So, here are a few quick tips for those of you flying today.
- Douse yourself in a disgusting smelling perfume so that you can’t smell the aroma of all of the food court food around you
- Wear blinders like horses do so that you cannot see anything that is not directly in front of you (Skymall should totally sell these! See my post next Thursday about Skymall and Thanksgiving Day shopping.)
- Eat a ton of rice and beans before you head out for your flight so that you cannot possibly be full in the airport
- Pack your own snacks. Unlike water, they don’t steal those at security check points and it will also save you a lot of money. Just think $5 M&M bag….Yikes!
- Take a refillable water bottle with you that you can fill up on the other side of security. Avoid lots of unnecessary calories consumed by drinking and money on purchasing them. Remember, you can always get a small free soda on the flight
- Keep your hands busy by doing crosswords, Sudoku, knitting (if they allow those needles through), etc because busy hands don’t feel tempted to fill the mouth
- Remember that the airport food court does not sell any food that you can’t get somewhere else for less and when you won’t be sitting for hours on end
- If you have to eat there, choose mindfully and if all else fails…..
- “Workout” at the airport! Look at what I found (and used) at the Philadelphia Airport!
|These were free to use and I know I need a new phone so I can snap far better photos!|
For more fun blog posts about air travel, read these:
Fit is a Feminist Issue, lots of articles about travel
The Next Delusion, the Knee Defender