Welcome back to 2015 and our first Tone It Up Tuesday of the year! Each first Tuesday of the month will host a new fitness challenge for the year, but we’ll get to that a little further down. First I want to talk to you about more of the changes to my fitness program and the Warrior Series that I added on January 3rd.
First, if you remember all the way back to the middle of December, we started talking about the four pillars of resistance training and I gave you a small assignment to pick one pillar where your training program was lacking and start working on it every other day. Then, a week later, we started talking about the rest that we need between training sessions and I talked about the Super Compensation Cycle and how to make your body stronger by giving it days off. Finally, last week on the 1st day of the year I previewed things to come for this year and especially that I was choosing to do my resistance training every third day instead of every other day. The other thing I previewed was that we would be having a fitness challenge each month and a giveaway at the end of the year….we’re getting there.
My 2015 goal was to see myself in a different light and I’ve stopped measuring my success by how much I weigh, what size clothes I’m wearing, how I look, etc. I am now looking at myself as a strong woman. I like that adjective for myself and my life. If you know me personally you may see that as fitting me quite naturally in the way that I handle most of what’s come my way. However, I have spent a lot of time questioning myself and my life choices. This year it’s going to be different and starting with my training program.
The workout plan is as follows:
- Do aerobic training via running, walking briskly, or bicycling most days of the week (4 or more)
- Do resistance training every 3rd day (this may get confusing come next month, but we’ll work it out)
- Do flexibility training (mostly my yoga) whenever I feel I could use it, or daily
- Make time for rest and meditation
- Slowly build the program
I started with the push-ups (modified) 4 weeks ago and they are still kicking my butt! On the 3rd I added a Warrior Series which I share with you here.
If you have never practiced yoga before you would not know that these four poses take an extreme amount of leg strength to perform. Reverse Warrior is very taxing on the spine and Warrior III requires great balance. All poses can aggravate shoulder problems by lifting the arms up and I chose these four poses because they make me feel stronger when I perform them. I suggest clicking over to Yoga Journal and Yoga Basics for actual descriptions of how to do the poses, their benefits and who should avoid doing each one to save time and space in this post: WI, WII, RW, WIII; and always check with a health care provider before starting a new exercise program. I held each of the poses for 12 controlled breaths (not necessarily slow, but I was paying attention to breathing; you can start with as little as 3 controlled breaths) on each side of the body and I was shaking and my heart was pumping after I finished. It was exactly what I needed to go with my 20 modified push-ups. I also ran this morning (1.4 miles, not my best pace, check me out at MapMyRun) and this all made me feel complete and STRONG.
I keep repeating that word because that is my word for the year….I want to see myself as STRONG! So, this brings me to our first fitness challenge of the year and the rules for the giveaway at the end of the year.
I’m sure you’ve seen those Special K commercials where the women go into a department store and can’t find their “size” because all of the jeans have been relabeled with descriptors that empower instead of insult. Well, your first fitness challenge is to decide one word that will help you to see yourself in a different light this year. I would love for you to keep going with your pillar of resistance that you have chosen and to keep using the Tone It Up Tuesday features to add new exercises to your routine, but first I want you to have a goal in mind. This does go against a lot of my goal setting rules in that seeing myself as STRONG is not a measurable goal by SMART goal setting standards (read more on Friday). Okay, understand the challenge? Great! Now the rules….
I feel bad not announcing what you are entering to win just yet, but the final details have not been fully ironed out. However, this is how it goes thus far. To enter to win you must do the following:
- Follow OneGirlBreathing by clicking on the link on the right hand side of the page….yeah, where it says “Follow Me”
- Post a comment on all 12 of the fitness challenges this year. This week you need to pick your word and post it in the comments below, but make sure you’re following the blog too. Each new challenge will be posted on Tone It Up Tuesday on the first Tuesday of each month. You can go back and enter previous challenges if you get to us late in the game. They will all be linked at the bottom of the current challenge. Participating in all 12 challenges will get you 1 entry into the giveaway.
- Extra entries can be earned for each friend that you get to join us on our journey. If your friend posts your name in their comment and is also following and going along with us, you will earn 1 extra entry for each friend who completes all 12 challenges.
- The last day to enter the 2015 Fitness Challenge will be December 29, 2015. A winner will be chosen at random and announced on New Year’s Day 2016. The prize will be a piece of fitness gear, but the exact item has yet to be determined. As soon as it is an announcement will be made.
I hope that you all participate and enjoy the journey I have set up for us this year. Here’s to you and seeing yourself in a new light this new year!